We wanted to start with a collection of books that would give a basic but solid foundation of the doctrines of the Christian faith. We considered the things that are the essentials, the basics, the “if you don’t learn anything else, know this” things that we wanted to teach our own children.
We came up with the following list:
1. There is one God in three persons (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit)
2. Jesus came to save mankind through the redemptive work on the cross; we must trust in Him for salvation
3. God is still God today
4. We need to trust in the Lord; all human knowledge must be viewed through a lens of God’s Word
5. God gave us His spirit to help us be conformed to the likeness of the Son
6. It is the job of believers to share the gospel with all the nations
We view these six elements as a strong doctrinal foundation for the youngest children. We also wanted familiar passages. Verses that our children would hear at church or in daily life on a routine basis to reenforce what they are learning at home.
With all of that in mind, we selected the following passages for the six books in series one:
- John 1:1-5 - In the Beginning was the Word shows us Jesus is God, and that He was not created but is the creator of all things
- John 3:16 - For God so Loved the World shows us God loved the World and sent Jesus to save us
- Psalm 118:23-24 - This is the Day! shows us God is not just the God of times past, but He is still God today
- Proverbs 3:5-7 - Trust in the Lord shows us each individual must trust in the Lord, and we must rely on Him not only for salvation, but also for wisdom and knowledge
- Galatians 5:22-23,25 - The Fruit of the Spirit shows us the Spirit produces the fruit that conforms us to the likeness of Christ
- Matthew 5:14-16 - You are the Light of the World shows us we are called to be lights that cannot be hidden, a city on the hill that shines for the world to see
Once we had the passages selected, it was time to illustrate the books! The illustrations are designed to be engaging for the youngest children, and promote memorization as babies grow into toddlers. We also wanted the illustrations to spark conversations that go deeper with older children.
We want to encourage parents to have conversations with their children through these books. Conversations on topics like the need for a savior, the trinity, God’s power and authority over each and every day, our reliance on Christ, our need for a helper, and our job as believers to spread the gospel.
It is our hope and prayer that the Taste & See series one books accomplish these goals and are a blessing to you and your family.